Nicole Hayden, Palm Springs Desert Sun
Published 3:28 p.m. PT April 26, 2020
A Riverside County, California inmate speaks on being infected with COVID-19 inside jail after being released. (April 23, 2020)
Palm Springs Desert Sun
Riverside County health officials on Sunday reported 154 new coronavirus cases and one new virus-related death. A total of 118 people have died in the county since the pandemic began.
The county’s total number of cases has doubled over the last two weeks to 3,563. Currently, 218 patients are hospitalized, including 81 in intensive care.
Additionally, officials said 1,207 people have recovered and 135 inmates in county jails have tested positive, of whom 94 have recovered.
Riverside County has confirmed about 149 cases per 100,000 people.
Riverside County is outpacing California in testing rate with about 1,752 tests administered per 100,000 residents, as compared to 1,279 per 100,000 people statewide. In total, the county has administered 41,753 tests.
County officials reported on Sunday 34 new cases and one new deaths in the Coachella Valley’s nine cities, which now have 610 positive cases and 24 virus-related deaths.
- Cathedral City: 78 cases and 1 death
- Coachella: 119 cases and 2 deaths
- Desert Hot Springs: 30 cases and 0 deaths
- Indian Wells: 11 cases and 0 deaths
- Indio: 120 cases and 3 deaths
- La Quinta: 61 cases and 1 death
- Palm Desert: 76 cases and 5 deaths
- Palm Springs: 91 cases and 9 deaths
- Rancho Mirage: 24 cases and 3 deaths
- Unincorporated communities: Bermuda Dunes: 4 cases and 0 deaths; Desert Edge: 3 cases and 0 deaths; Desert Palms: 5 cases and 0 deaths; Garnet: 8 cases and 0 deaths; Mecca: 22 cases and 0 deaths; North Shore: 1 case and 0 deaths; Oasis: 7 cases and 0 deaths; Sky Valley: 3 cases and 0 deaths; Thermal: 9 cases and 0 deaths; Thousand Palms: 4 cases and 0 deaths; Vista Santa Rosa: 1 case and 0 deaths.
- California: 42,164 positive cases and 1,710 deaths
Read or Share this story: https://www.desertsun.com/story/news/health/2020/04/26/coronavirus-california-riverside-county-reports-154-new-cases-1-new-death/3029800001/